The city is surrounded by walls with 12 watchtowers and a defense fortress, the remains of which are still visible near Porta Castello. Having become a bishopric, Andria conquered a prominent place with Federico II, who elected it as his residence by building Castel del Monte in 1240, and promoting its development with privileges and tax exemptions. The city also played fundamental roles during the Angevin era, becoming a county and then waning in importance during the late 1700s due to sieges, fires and massacres. Incorporated into the Kingdom of the two Sicilies, it followed its fate until the unification of Italy. The city is known worldwide for its agri-food products. In addition to the famous “Burrata”, it stands out for its extra virgin olive oil, wine production and typical sugared almonds.